Key projects, papers & people of different topics within this theme
- In the project Drought risk profiles for Africa , Marthe Wens created national drought disaster risk profiles for 18 SSA countries by evaluating drought hazard, exposure, and hydropower and agricultural losses. The project also consisted of a capacity building aspect involving multiple workshops for national disaster managers and technicians all countires.
- In the project Drought risk profiles for Kenya, Marthe Wens created county-specific drought disaster risk profiles for Kenya’s ASAL counties, by evaluating drought hazard, exposure, and drought impacts on children, using AI algorithms and local data.
- In the project Drought risk profiles for the Volta Basin, Marthe Wens and Raed Hamed created a basin-specific drought disaster risk profile on the sub-national scale, by evaluating drought hazard, exposure, and drought impacts on agriculture using AI. The project also consisted of a capacity building aspect involving multiple workshops for technicians in Mali, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Togo and Benin.
- Within the DOWN2EARTH project Rhoda Odongo investigates the interactions between drought hazard, climate and societal impacts of drought using machine learning techniques (i.e. Random Forest modelling). This is to determine the extent of the influence of human activities and climate variability of droughts. Does this alleviate or aggravate drought in East Africa?
- EDORA project – Marthe Wens
- In the RECEIPT project, Raed Hamed investigates storylines of climate-driven soybean impacts in major producing regions looking at local compound events, simultaneous breadbasket failures and associated large-scale teleconnection patterns.
- MYRIAD project – Ruoying Dai
- PerfectSTORM (Storylines of Future Extremes) project – Alessia Matanó & Ruben Weesie investigates how local experiences of a drought affect experiences of a successive flood in case studies.
- Compound Risks in Fragile Contexts: examples from the Horn of Africa – Alessia Matanó
This is ongoing research. Papers will be added.